This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you), but we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
The second “bedroom” in my house is small (9 ½’ x 8 ½’) and needs to be a multi-functional room — guest bedroom, home office, party room, and storage area rolled into one. I already had a Murphy bed built into the wall (for the guest bedroom) and a desk (for the home office), but I was stuck trying to figure out how to fit in all of the storage that I needed as well as a serving area for my annual Christmas tea party.
I had a long list of things that I wanted to be able to keep in this room:
- Storage for binders
- Storage for office supplies
- Storage for sewing notions
- Storage for the guest bed linens when it is not in use
- Shelves for magazines and books
- A place to put my printer
- Camouflage for phone and power cords
- Buffet serving area
- Narrow enough to let the Murphy bed open
- A sleek contemporary feel
- A bit of reflecting bling
Then one day I had an “ah ha” moment when I was browsing in the IKEA “as is” section. I spied some Jutis frosted glass cupboard doors with aluminum trim and a steel shelf. I suddenly knew how I wanted to configure the den so that it would look great and accommodate all of the storage I needed. There is no wasted real estate in this room!
Click Next to see how to build a glam wall unit using IKEA kitchen cabinets.