Figuring out how to build a blind corner cabinet pull out was the last of my kitchen organizing projects. And definitely the most challenging, design-wise.
Blind corner cabinets are always a challenge to organize. There’s the easy-to-reach part of the cabinet right in front of the door, but the bulk of the storage area is back in the corner…very hard to reach! I had researched buying a ready-made version of something that would help with the problem, but none of them would the 13″ door opening in my cabinet (and they were all pretty expensive, too!) So I decided to make my own.
I took a 2-phased approach to solving this problem. The first is to build pull-out shelves for the blind portion of the cabinet. These roll from the blind portion of the cabinet to the part that is right in front of the door so you can reach the things that are stored on the shelf. This post will go through the details of putting these shelves together.
The second part is to build a pull out drawer unit that will roll out of the easy-to-reach area so that you can easily access what is on them…and make room to reach the pull out shelves. You can find the details on how to make this in part 2 of how to build pull out shelves for a blind corner cabinet.
To recap all of the kitchen organization projects so far:
- Turn hard-to-reach shelves in the base cabinets into easy-to-access drawers.
- Move cooking utensils to a hanging, rotating storage rack to clear drawer clutter (part 1).
- Clear drawer clutter (part 2) by organizing the rest of the utensils that end up in a drawer.
- Move spice racks to a magnetic spice wall to clear the counter tops (part 1) by moving spice racks to a magnetic spice wall.
- Clear the counter tops (part 2) by building a pull down cookbook stand.
- Clear the cabinet clutter where serving trays and cookie sheets are stored by building custom dividers and shelves.
- Make the corner cabinets more useful by building some kind of easy-to-access storage system. This week’s project!
- The bonus project from week 6: 6 Cabinet Door Storage Ideas
Continue reading to find out how to build pull out shelves for a blind corner cabinet.