This lasagna inspired shrimp casserole dish takes a little while to get ready, but it is worth the wait! It is a layered pasta dish (the layers are similar to lasagna), but it uses shrimp instead of ground meat and ziti instead of lasagna noodles.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
What You Need
4 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 ½ cups of Ziti pasta
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Pots and Utensils
Mixer and mixing bowl
Large Sauce Pan
9″ x 13″ glass baking dish
How To Put the Shrimp Casserole Together
1. Heat the oven to 350ºF.
2. In the mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream. Set aside.
3. In the large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
4. Add the onions and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Mix in the parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper
6. Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, boil some water in the medium-sized pot.
9. Cook pasta for 8 minutes.
10. Drain and set aside.
11. Once the tomato sauce has finished simmering, add the shrimp.
12. Cook for about 5 minutes until the shrimp has turned pink.
13. Add the pasta to the tomato sauce and shrimp mixture.
14. Spread half of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of the 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
15. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the tomato sauce.
16. Spread the other half of the tomato sauce mixture over the cream cheese layer.
17. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top.
18. Cover with foil.
19. Bake for an hour, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!