This mandarin orange romaine salad recipe comes from my sister, Elaine, and is my type of salad…it is easy and delicious, and makes a refreshing change from Caesar salad.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
What You Need
(optional) White sugar
1 head of romaine lettuce
1 cup celery, sliced
2-3 green onions, sliced or 1 shallot diced
1 tin Mandarin oranges, drained
½ cup pure sunflower oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp paprika
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Pots and Utensils:
Small frying pan
Jar with a lid
Putting The Salad Together
1. Roast the almonds in a small frying pan over medium heat.
2. Stir often until the nuts begin to brown, about 2 – 3 minutes. Watch them closely because they will char easily.
3. Sprinkle with sugar if you wish.
4. Cut the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and add to the salad bowl.
5. Add the celery, onions, oranges and almonds.
6. To make the salad dressing, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients in the jar. Shake well. The dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
7. Serve the salad with the dressing.