This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you), but we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Living in the South, fried chicken is a staple for any kind of get-together, but all that frying is hard on the diet. This oven fried chicken recipe has all the taste of fried chicken, but is actually baked…and even the most die-hard fried chicken fans love it!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
What You Need
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 lbs chicken parts (for parties, I like to use drum sticks)
Bowl large enough to hold a few chicken pieces at a time
Large ziploc bag
Putting It Together
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Combine the lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a bowl.
3. Combine all of the dried ingredients in a large ziploc bag.
4. Line the baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
5. Put the chicken into the lemon juice/mustard mixture and brush it over the chicken to coat, 2 or 3 pieces at a time.
6. Add the chicken pieces to the bread crumb mixture in the ziploc bag.
7. Close the bag and shake to coat the chicken.
8. Remove the chicken from the bag and arrange on the baking sheet, skin side up.
9. (optional) The chicken can be stored in the refrigerator, uncovered, for up to 3 hours.
10. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Serve warm or cold…your guests will love it!
Note: If you are serving the chicken on a buffet in a chafing or warming dish, the chicken will stay crispier if you leave the lid off.