This Asian spice chicken wings recipe is a very versatile dish that is gluten free, tastes great and can be baked or grilled.
Chicken wings are one of my favorite dishes to serve for a crowd. Especially when they are really easy to make like these sweet and sour chicken wings or these Oriental lemon chicken wings. This Asian spice chicken wings recipe definitely fits in that category!
Asian Spice Chicken Wings Recipe
This Asian spice chicken wings recipe is one of the most versatile dishes I make. It is fast and easy (always a bonus!), is gluten-free, and can either be baked or grilled.
It is really, REALLY good if you have time to marinate the wings. But tastes almost as good without (perfect for those last minute weeknight dinners).
Oh, and did I mention they taste great?
Now you can see why these Asian spice wings are my go-to chicken wing recipe in pretty much any situation.
Asian Spice Chicken Wings
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce You can substitute 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and eliminate the salt if you are not looking for a gluten free option
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 pounds wings separated at the joint
Pots and Utensils
- 1 Small bowl
- 1 Large Ziploc Bag
- 1 Cookie sheet if you are baking the wings
Marinating the Wings
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the wings in the small bowl.
- Put the wings in the ziploc bag.
- Add the sauce to the bag and seal it. Don't worry if it seems like a small amount of marinade for the number of wings. It will cover them.
- Flip the bag over a few times in all directions to distribute the sauce over the wings.
- For best flavor, marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours. If you are marinating for longer than an hour, flip the bag over once in a while to make sure all of the wings are evenly covered. You can also skip this step if you are in a hurry.
To Cook On The Grill
- Warm up the grill on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Spread the wings out on the grill, skin side down first.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping occasionally. Note: Wings do tend to cause flare-ups on the grill, so check on them frequently to make sure the skin doesn't burn.
To Cook In The Oven
- Pre-heat the oven to 400º F.
- Spread the wings out on a cookie sheet, skin side down. This helps to make the skin crispy. Covering the cookie sheet in foil first makes it easier to clean when you are done.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the wings over so the skin side is up.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- To make the skin extra crispy, cook the wings under the broiler for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.