This Blue Curacao and Tequila Margarita jello shots recipe is a great boozy shooter for any adult party, especially if you are looking for a darker green color.
I love serving jello shots of all kinds at my parties. But my absolute favorites are the really easy ones that taste great, like these Blue Curacao and Tequila Margarita Jello shots, or this Berry Blue Malibu Jello shots recipe, or even this Sour Apple Blue Jello Shots recipe.
Blue Curacao and Tequila Margarita Jello Shots
If you’ve read my other Margarita jello shots recipe, you know that it is one of my favorite jello shots of all time. And that I’ve never really looked for another Margarita jell shot because those ones are so good!
So you might be wondering what made me decide to try another version.
Well…the Philadelphia Eagles made it to the Super Bowl. And I wanted to get closer to the dark green color of their jerseys for my Super Bowl party.
So I decided to try adding some Blue Curacao to the classic Margarita mix. I know I probably could have used food coloring to do the same thing, but I prefer not to if I can find another way around it.
Adding the Blue Curacao did get the color a little darker, but the reason I really liked them was because of the extra zing provided by the orange flavor. (If you want the jello to be really dark green, you probably do need to add a few drops of coloring).
So I think this darker green version of my traditional Margarita jello shots are on my regular shooter list now, too!
Blue Curacao and Tequila Margarita Jello Shots Ingredients
As you may have already guessed, to make these jello shots, you will need Blue Curacao and Tequila, along with some Margarita mix and Lime Jello.
What Size Of Jello Shot Cups Are The Best?
As usual, I like to make these jello shots in 2-ounce jello shot cups with lids*.
They’re just so easy to serve and transport. And it’s the perfect amount for a shot.
How To Make Blue Curacao and Tequila Margarita Jello Shots
To make moving the jello shots to the refrigerator even easier (once the jello is in them of course), I lay them out on a cookie sheet before I make them.
That way I just have to mix and pour.
Mix 2 cups boiling water with a large (6-oz) box of lime jello until all of the crystals have dissolved.
I like to use a mixing bowl with a spout* or a large measuring cup for this. It makes pouring the jello into the shot glasses much easier when you get to that step.
How Much Alcohol Do You Put In Jello Shots?
Mix 1/2 cup Tequila, 3/4 cup Blue Curacao and 3/4 cup lime Margarita mix in a measuring cup.
You can adjust the amounts of each if you want more or less alcohol. Just make sure that the end total still comes out to 2 cups.
Add the alcohol mixture to the jello mixture. Stir again to combine.
As you can see, adding the blue curacao does give the green jello a darker appearance.
How Long Does It Take Jello Shots To Set In The Fridge?
Then pour into the jello shot cups and refrigerate until the jello shots are set, usually 2 – 4 hours.
I usually wait for the jello to completely cool before putting the lids on. That prevents condensation from forming on the inside of the jello cups. It doesn’t hurt the jello, but not having condensation does make them look better.
How Many Jello Shots Are In A Box Of Jello?
Since we are using a large (6-oz) box of jello, this recipe will make about 32 2-oz jello shots (depending on how full you fill the jello shot cups).
For a small (3-oz) box of jello, you will get 16 2-oz jello shots. You would need to divide the ingredients in this recipe in half to make this work.
How Long Do Jello Shots Last?
You can store these jello shots in the refrigerator for up to a week. But I think they start to taste stale after a couple of days.
I usually make them a day or two before the party to compromise between being ready in advance and still having the jello shots taste good.
How Do You Serve Jello Shots?
I like to serve jello shots with mini tasting spoons*. Most of my friends don’t like to eat them right out of the shot glass, and these spoons are the perfect size.
Other Jello Shots You Might Like
Blue Curacao Margarita Jello Shots Recipe
- 2 3-ounce (small) packages of lime jello or 1 6-ounce (large) package
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup lime margarita mix
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 3/4 cup blue curacao
- You will need these supplies: - 32 2-oz jello shot cups - cookie sheet (optional) - pot or kettle - mixing bowl (preferably with a spout) - measuring cup
- Lay out the jello shot cups on a cookie sheet.
- Mix 2 cups of boiling water and the lime jello in a bowl.
- Add the Margarita mix, Tequila and Blue Curacao to the jello mix. Stir well.
- Pour the jello mixture into the jello shot cups.
- Chill in the refrigerator until set, 2 - 4 hours.
- Makes 32 2-oz jello shots.
- The cookie sheet is not absolutely necessary but it does make transporting the jello shots to the refrigerator much easier.
- Using a bowl with a spout will making pouring the jello into the shot glasses much easier.
- Waiting until the jello has cooled before putting the lids on the jello shot cups will prevent condensation from forming inside the shot cups. While the water doesn't harm the jello shots, they look better without it.
- You can make fewer jello shots by using 1 small box (3-ounces) of lime jello and using half the amounts for the rest of the ingredients