Cream cheese icing is by far my favorite icing to use on cakes and cupcakes. It is not too sweet, goes with almost any kind of cake and is surprisingly easy to make. And since it is white, you can easily add a few drops of food coloring to match the decor of whatever party you are throwing. In the picture above, a couple of drops of red food coloring gives the icing the pink color.
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Beat the cream cheese with the vanilla on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add the butter, waiting between each addition until the previous one has been incorporated.
- Reduce the speed to low.
- Gradually add the confectioner's sugar, waiting between each addition until the previous one has been incorporated and the icing is fluffy.
- Spread the icing on your cake or cupcakes as you would with any other icing. Since this icing is made from cream cheese, it does need to be refrigerated to prevent it from getting too soft and losing it's shape. In other words, you will need to store your cake in the refrigerator.