For my Halloween parties, I often have big dreams of making those cute desserts you see all over the web this time of year.
My problem is that baking is not my one of strengths…something about having to follow all the directions exactly…
And even more specifically, decorating baking is even less of a strength.
Which is why I was thrilled to find these super-simple cupcakes from ambrosia baking that are easy to make.
Even if you’re not a baker.
Especially when you use a cake mix and store-bought icing like I did 🙂
How To Make Red Icing
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
The biggest issue is getting the frosting to turn red without using a whole bottle of food coloring.
Which makes the icing taste horrible!
And what’s the point of icing if it doesn’t taste good?
So I found the solution for that!
Get the right food coloring. This red gel food coloring* makes a beautiful red color without having to use very much.
Just mix it in a little at a time until you get the tone you want.
How To Make The Devil Horns
The horns are made from black fondant.
For this I bought this small tub of already-made black fondant*.
Then I used a 1/8 teaspoon to take a small scoop out of the fondant.
Rolled it into a curved horn shape.
And stuck it into each side of the icing.
And that’s pretty much it!
- 1 Package of Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 can Ready-made Icing
- Americolor Super Red Gel Food Coloring
- Ready-made black fondant
- 2 12-cup muffin pans
- 24 cupcake liners
- mixing bowl
- Piping bag with a large round tip
- Make the Red Velvet Cake Mix following the directions on the box
- Insert the cupcake liners into the cupcake pans. I used black ones to go with the theme.
- Fill the liners with equal amounts of cake mix.
- Bake at the temperature and amount of time specified in the cake mix instructions (usually between 16 and 18 minutes).
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely
Make the Icing
- Put the icing in a bowl.
- Mix in the red food coloring a little bit at a time until it looks red.
The Finishing Touches
- Use a large round piping tip with a piping bag to pipe the red icing onto the cupcakes.
- To make the horns, take a small piece (about 1/8 teaspoon) of the black fondant and roll it into the horn shape with points on both ends. Stick 2 horns into the icing on either side of the cupcake
- The brand of food coloring that you use will make a big difference in how red the icing will be.