These Halloween ghost cupcakes will be the hit of your Halloween party and are really easy to make
I love making spooky cupcakes for my annual haunted house Halloween party. But since I’m not a great baker, I always have to come up with easy-to-make versions of the fancy ones I see on Pinterest (like these graveyard cupcakes and these bloody knife cupcakes). Of all the ones I’ve tried so far, these Halloween ghost cupcakes are the easiest ones yet!
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Of all my easy Halloween cupcake recipes, these ghost cupcakes are the easiest to make. They are one of the few Pinterest recipes that I didn’t have to change very much to match my limited baking skills.
The inspiration version came from jennakateathome.com.
She used traditional butter cream icing where I used cream cheese icing (just because I like it better…feel free to use buttercream if you prefer).
And I didn’t use anything for the mouth.
But other than that, no major modifications were necessary!
I did add these cute cupcake wrappers* around the bottom of the cupcakes…another easy way to dress them up. You could even use these on store bought cupcakes to make them look more like Halloween.
How To Make Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
To make it easy on myself, I used a store-bought chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes, but you can use pretty much any flavor of cupcake you want. I actually used the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake mix* and I was surprised at how good it tastes.
For the icing, I made a batch of my favorite create cheese icing. Of course, you can also use the store bought variety if you prefer.
For this recipe the piping bag (or ziploc bag with a hole cut in one corner) is kind of necessary. It’s hard to get enough height on the icing if you are just scooping it on with a spoon.
You can buy the candy eyes* so they are really easy to add.
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
- 1 package Chocolate cake mix
- Cream cheese frosting You can use the store-bought kind or make it yourself with our Best Cream Cheese Icing recipe
- 1 package Candy eyes
Pots and Utensils
- Muffin/cupcake tins
- Muffin cups
- Piping bag or ziploc bag with a hole cut in one corner
- Line the cupcake tins with the muffin cups.
- Mix the cake batter as directed on the package (or make your favorite chocolate cake recipe if you are so inclined)
- Equally divide the batter into the muffin tins.
- Follow the instructions on the package for baking the cupcakes.
- Let cool completely on a cake rack.
- For this recipe the piping bag (or ziploc bag with a hole cut in one corner) is kind of necessary. It's hard to get enough height on the icing if you are just scooping it on with a spoon.
- Fill the bag with frosting and seal the open end shut...to do this with a piping bag, twist the end a couple of times. For the ziploc bag, just zip it shut.
- Pipe the frosting on to the tops of the cupcakes. Start at the outside edge of the cupcake and go around in circles toward the middle until you have covered it (kind of like you would if you were serving a soft ice cream cone)
- Finally, stick two candy eyes on to the top of the cupcakes