Nothing is more refreshing on a hot day than a cool glass of lemonade…and this homemade lemonade recipe will have your friends and family coming back for seconds! Even better? You can make the lemonade syrup ahead of time, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Then just add water when you want to serve it!
The traditional version of homemade lemonade uses sugar as it’s sweetener, but you can also use honey. It has a slightly different taste, and looks a little darker, but still tastes good and has less calories. I have included both versions so you can try them both out and see which one you prefer.
What You Need
1½ cups of water
1½ cups of granulated white sugar or ¾ cup of honey
2 Tablespoons grated lemon rind
9 or 10 lemons
Pots and Utensils
Glass storage jar
How To Put It Together
1. Grate 2 Tablespoons of lemon rind from the lemons. Try not to grate too far into the skin…the white part is a little bitter.
2. Combine the water, sugar or honey and the lemon rind in the saucepan.
3. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and let cool. You can speed up the process by covering it and putting it in the refrigerator for a while.
6. Juice the lemons so that you have about 1¾ cups of lemon juice.
7. Pour the lemon juice into your glass storage jar.
8. When the syrup has cooled, add it to the jar and mix well.
You can store the jarred syrup in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
The general rule of thumb is to add 1 part syrup to 3 parts water to make your lemonade. Of course, you can adjust the amount of water you use, depending on how strong you like your lemonade.
For an individual glass:
- Add 1/3 cup of the syrup to a glass.
- Mix in 1 cup of water
- Add some ice
For a pitcher:
- Add 1½ cups of syrup to the pitcher (about half of the syrup recipe)
- Add 4½ cups of water to the pitcher.
- Add some ice and garnish with sliced lemon.
Sit down and enjoy your refreshing drink!
Comments or questions of Homemade Lemonade? Tell us in the section below.
As Seen On:[columns] [span6]