This lasagna inspired shrimp casserole dish takes a little while to get ready, but it is worth the wait! It is a layered pasta dish (the layers are similar to lasagna), but it uses shrimp instead of ground meat and ziti instead of lasagna noodles.
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 2 ½ cups of Ziti pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How To Put the Shrimp Casserole Together
- Heat the oven to 350ºF.
- In the mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream. Set aside.
- In the large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil some water in the medium-sized pot.
- Cook pasta for 8 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Once the tomato sauce has finished simmering, add the shrimp.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the shrimp has turned pink.
- Add the pasta to the tomato sauce and shrimp mixture.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of the 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the tomato sauce.
- Spread the other half of the tomato sauce mixture over the cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for an hour, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes.