This mandarin orange romaine salad recipe comes from my sister, Elaine, and is my type of salad…it is easy and delicious, and makes a refreshing change from Caesar salad.
Servings: 4 servings
This mandarin orange romaine salad recipe comes from my sister, Elaine, and is my type of salad...it is easy and delicious, and makes a refreshing change from Caesar salad.
- Sliced almonds
- White sugar optional
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 2-3 green onions sliced or 1 shallot diced
- 1 tin Mandarin oranges drained
- ½ cup pure sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- Roast the almonds in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir often until the nuts begin to brown, about 2 - 3 minutes. Watch them closely because they will char easily.
- Sprinkle with sugar if you wish.
- Cut the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and add to the salad bowl.
- Add the celery, onions, oranges and almonds.
- To make the salad dressing, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients in the jar. Shake well. The dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Serve the salad with the dressing.
Pots and Utensils: Small frying pan Salad bowl Jar with a lid