This is the generic, standard recipe for jello shots.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
- 1 small (3-ounce) box of jello
- 1 cup of alcohol. Vodka is the traditional choice, but you can use other kinds of alcohol if you prefer.
How To Put Jello Shots Together
1. Pour jello crystals into a bowl (preferably one with a pour spout as this will make it easier to fill the jello cups without spilling).
2. Boil water.
3. Add 1 cup of the boiling water to the jello crystals.
4. Mix until the jello sugar has dissolved.
5. Add 1 cup of alcohol of some kind to the mix. Traditionally, it’s vodka.
6. Stir again to mix.
7. Pour into jello cups.
8. Wait for a few minutes for the jello to cool somewhat before putting on the lid or covering the jello (otherwise you will get condensation on the lid…it won’t hurt the jello but it doesn’t look as good when handing them to out guests).
9. Put in the refrigerator to chill.
Note: I have always thought the standard jello shot recipe is too strong to make the jello really enjoyable. So I generally reduce the amount of alcohol and add some juice or cold water instead. You’ll see that in my recipes.
But if you prefer a higher alcohol content, feel free to go with the standard amount.
How long does it take for Jello shots to set in the fridge?
It usually takes between 2 and 4 hours for the jello shots to set. So you can make them the day of your party if you have to.
However, I always try to make mine at least a day in advance (less last minute prep work!). They will keep in the refrigerator for a few days with no problems.
How many jello shots does a 3 oz box make?
One 3-ounce box of jello (which is the small package) makes about 16 2-ounce jello shots.
Of course, it all depends on how much jello you put in each shot cup. You can stretch it out to about 20 if you fill them 3/4 full.
Looking for a specific jello shot color?
Standard recipe for jello shots