I am always on the lookout for sugar free treats so these sugar free granola bars caught my eye. They also have the added benefit of being gluten free. The bars are tasty and quick and easy to assemble. It is surprising how fast they disappear around my house.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Makes: 12 pieces
What You Need
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
4 Tbsp warm water
1 cup pumpkin puree*
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (I like walnuts)
1 cup dried fruit, e.g. raisins, cranberries, chopped apricots, etc.
¼ tsp. Salt (if using unsalted nuts)
*Hint — one large can of pumpkin puree contains 3 cups. I divide the extra puree into 1 cup servings and store in ziploc bags in the freezer for future use.
Pots and Utensils
8 x 10 baking pan
How to Put It Together
1. Heat oven to 350ºF.
2. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
3. Put the flaxseed and salt, if using, into the bowl and mix with the warm water.
4. Add the pumpkin and stir to combine.
5. Add the oats, fruit and nuts and mix together.
6. Pour the mixture into prepared pan and press well with a wooden spoon.
7. Score the mixture into 12 pieces with a sharp knife.
8. Bake for 20 – 25 min, until the edges are slightly brown.
Serve warm or cold. Store in airtight container if they don’t disappear immediately after you make them!