This is a traditional lasagna recipe that tastes great and isn’t as hard to make as it seems. Everyone I have ever served it to has loved it!
You can also make it with a twist…if you want to reduce the amount of fat and calories, substitute ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef and it still tastes great.
What You Need
6 lasagna noodles
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small cooking onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey (making it with ground chicken or turkey still tastes great and has less calories)
3 Tbsp parsley
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
12 roma tomatoes, chopped, or 2 14.5-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 14.5-ounce can of tomato sauce
½ lb mozzarella cheese
1½ cups of ricotta or cottage cheese
Large stock pot for boiling the noodles
Large stock pot for making the tomato sauce
15″ x 10″ glass baking dish
Putting It Together
Boiling the Noodles:
1. Bring water to a boil in the first large stock pot
2. Add the lasagna noodles and boil until al dente, usually about 8 minutes (but read the instructions on the package for more details)
3. Remove the noodles from the water and set aside.
Making The Sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil in the second large stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic
3. Cook until tender and translucent.
4. Add the ground meat.
5. Cook until the meat is brown.
6. Mix in the parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
7. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. Lower the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Putting The Traditional Lasagna Together:
1. Heat the oven to 375º F.
2. Spread half of the meat sauce in the bottom of the glass baking dish.
3. Use 3 of the lasagna noodles to create a single layer across the meat sauce.
4. Spread half of the ricotta cheese over the noodles.
5. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over the top.
6. Repeat steps 1 to 4 with the rest of the meat sauce, lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese and mozzarella.
Note: If you wanted to store the lasagna for future use, you can cover it and put it in the freezer at this point. Just thaw and add an extra 15 minutes of baking time when you are ready to eat it.
7. Bake for 45 minutes.
Makes 8 large lasagna servings.