This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you), but we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Crock pot meatballs are easy to make and this version with ground chicken (or turkey) has a few less calories than the ground beef version without losing any flavor.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 – 7 hours
Total Time: 4 – 7 hours
What You Need To Make Crock Pot Chicken Meatballs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil
2 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes (Tomato Sauce also works)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/4 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp sale
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
1 large egg, beaten
5 – 7 quart slow cooker
Round Tablespoon (optional)
Putting The Crock Pot Chicken Meatballs Together
The tomato sauce can be made in either the slow cooker or a separate pot on the stove (that is put into the slow cooker before the meatballs are added). Cooking in a separate pot reduces the cooking time, while using the slow cooker minimizes the number of steps. If you choose to cook in a separate pot, use a larger sauce pan for cooking the onion mixture as you will need to add the tomato mixture to it. If you are using the slow cooker to cook the sauce, a small frying pan will do (just big enough to hold the onions).
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion, garlic red pepper flakes and basil.
3. Saute until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
4. If you are cooking the tomato sauce in the slow cooker, transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.
5. Add the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients.
6. If you are cooking in the slow cooker, cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. If you are cooking on the stove, simmer the tomato sauce for about 45 minutes.
7. In the meantime, make the meatballs.
8. Combine the breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl.
9. Add the rest of the meatball ingredients and mix well (you may have to dig in with your hands to get it well-mixed).
10. Form 1 to 2 inch balls from the mixture. A round Tablespoon measuring spoon works well for making consistently-sized and round meatballs.
11. After the sauce is finished cooking, add the meatballs to the sauce. (If you cooked the sauce on the stove, both the sauce and the meatballs should be added to the slow cooker at this time).
12. Spoon the sauce over the top of the meatballs. Taking the sauce from the sides of the pot prevents the meatballs in the crock pot from accidentally getting sliced by your spoon.
13. Cook the meatballs on high for 3 hours, or until no longer pink in the middle.
These can easily stay in the slow cooker on “Warm” setting for a couple of hours, making them a great option for parties. They also make a great dinner option when served over spaghetti.
Makes 36 meatballs