In the summer, I am always looking for drinks that are cold and refreshing. One of my favorites are Mojitos…traditionally a Cuban drink made from rum, lime, mint and cane sugar. Since I’m not usually looking for an alcoholic drink, I made my own Virgin Mojito Mocktail recipe.
I actually prefer honey than sugar in this mocktail version (it seems to blend with the mint well).
You also need to make sure that you use the right mint…Spearmint or Mojito Mint (Mentha x villosa) seem to work best. For me, standard garden sweet mint doesn’t have a strong enough flavor (although that is probably a personal preference).
What You Need
7 or 8 mint leaves
2 Tablespoons honey
1 or 2 limes
Pots and Utensils
Muddler or wooden spoon
How To Put It Together
1. Add the mint leaves and honey to a tall glass.
2. Squeeze 2 Tablespoons of lime juice from the limes and add it to the glass.
3. Use a muddler or wooden spoon to gently crush the mint leaves while you mix the ingredients.
4. Add a couple of slices of lime into the mix and muddle them as well.
5. Fill the glass with ice.
6. Fill the glass with club soda.
Garnish with a lime slice and a couple of mint leaves. Because of the leaves, it is easiest to drink with a straw.
Note that this drink is not a sweet one…if you want a sweeter version, you can try using sprite instead of club soda.