This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you), but we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
These pesto turkey burgers seem a little strange when you look at the ingredients (who ever heard of putting chopped walnuts in a burger?) But they taste amazing! The pesto ingredients add the flavor that is sometimes missing from ground turkey, and the little bit of water keeps them from getting dried out.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
What You Need
1 cup fresh basil, finely chopped, or 3 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cooking onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds ground turkey
Pots and Utensils
How To Put the Burgers Together
1. Beat the egg in the bowl.
2. Mix in the basil, bread crumbs, onion, parmesan, water, chopped nuts, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Add the ground turkey and mix well. I usually use my hands for this…it’s messy but it gets everything evenly distributed with the meat.
4. Shape into 3/4 inch thick burgers.
5. Grill over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes per side (or until no longer pink inside). As with any burgers, let them cook for the full time on one side without touching them…then flip them and cook for the full time on the other side (without touching them). You will end up with much juicier burgers this way.
Note: You can also cook these turkey burgers in a frying pan on the stove, for about the same amount of time.
6. Serve with hamburger buns and condiments.
Makes about 8 burgers.