This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you), but we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
This week’s recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Bran Muffins is a novel variation on a bran muffin. I have been baking this version for eons and it never fails to get compliments. These muffins are delicious for breakfast, brunch, with coffee, or afternoon tea. The recipe appeared years ago in a complimentary magazine that was mailed to Canadians, called “Recipes Only”. It is quick and easy to make, and if you freeze the muffins, you only need to pop one in the microwave for a few seconds to reheat at a later date.
Hints: If you are new to baking muffins, there are a few rules for success:
- Make sure the oven is preheated to the required temperature before baking.
- Mix the moist and dry ingredients just prior to filling the muffin tins and bake immediately.
- Do not over mix. The dry ingredients should be just moistened.
Preparation time: 10 min.
Baking time: 20 min.
Makes: 12 muffins
What You Need
¾ cup rhubarb, chopped (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup strawberries, sliced (fresh or frozen)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup strawberry or plain yogurt
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup all bran
Pots and Utensils
Medium size muffin tins lined with paper muffin liners
How To Put Them Together
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix the rhubarb and white sugar in one of the bowls.
3. Add in the strawberries. Set aside.
4. Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon together into the other bowl. Set aside.
5. Place the oats and yogurt in the mixer bowl and stir to moisten.
6. Add the oil, brown sugar, and the egg. Beat well.
7. Add in the rhubarb/strawberry mixture, the flour mixture, and the bran. Stir to blend.
8. Divide between 12 muffin cups.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Be prepared for your senses to be stimulated by the most mouth watering aroma. Brew a cuppa and enjoy warm.