Nachos are a great dish for sharing while watching the game, or as finger food on the buffet, or even as part of a meal. I often find that the nachos served in restaurants have too many chips and not enough toppings, or too many of the toppings I don’t want. The bonus of making nachos at home is you can put exactly the toppings you want on them in whatever quantities you want. Here’s our Easy Nachos recipe:
What You Need To For Easy Nachos
You can use store-bought salsa and skip this step if you don’t want to do all of the chopping, however I think the taste of home-made salsa is worth the extra effort.
4 large tomatoes, diced
1 green pepper, diced
(optional) 1 fresh chile pepper (such as a jalapeno pepper), finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cooking onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
Nacho Meat Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cooking onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp of taco seasoning or make your own by combining 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, and 1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
(optional) 1 green chile pepper (such as a jalapeno pepper), finely chopped
1 lb ground turkey, chicken or beef
Nacho Topping Ingredients
The selection of toppings that you use as well as the amounts of each are totally up to you, based on what you like. Here are some of the usual toppings:
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced jalapeno peppers
How To Make The Salsa and Nacho Meat
- If you are making the salsa, combine all of the salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and refrigerate. Note: The flavors in the salsa get better after sitting for a few hours, so this can be made a day in advance.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute the chopped onion and garlic until soft, 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the taco seasonings, pepper flakes and chile pepper (if using).
- Stir until the seasonings are well mixed in with the onions.
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned all the way through, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes.
The meat and salsa can be refrigerated at this point and put together later, which makes nachos easy to make ahead for a party.
How To Put Together Easy Nachos
1. Spread a single layer of tortilla chips on a plate.
2. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese along with the ground meat over the chips. You can also include other toppings that can be heated (such as re-fried beans)
3. Spread another layer of tortilla chips on top.
4. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and ground meat over the top.
5. Heat the plate in the microwave until the cheese is melted (about 2 minutes).
6. Add the salsa and other toppings over the top.
Serve with appetizer plates and enjoy!
Have comments or questions about Easy Nachos? Tell us in the section below.