This Cosmopolitan jello shots recipe made with Cranberry jello, Citron Vodka and Cointreau is a take-off of the cocktail with the same name. A perfect addition to any adult party.
I love making jello shots for parties. They’re easy to do, can be made ahead of time and everyone loves them. These Cosmopolitan jello shots (along with these pink champagne jello shots and strawberry shortcake jello shots) are my go to recipes when I want to make some pretty shooters for my girlfriends.
Cosmopolitan Jello Shots Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
These Cosmopolitan jello shots are made with Cranberry jello, Citron Vodka and Cointreau (or Triple Sec). With a little extra cranberry juice and lime juice to mellow it out, they’re a delicious take-off of the cocktail with the same name.
Whether you need a dark red jello shot to match your party decor, or you just like Cosmopolitans, these jello shots are sure to be a hit!
To make these jello shots, you will need cranberry Jello, Vodka, Triple Sec or Cointreau, lime juice and cranberry juice.
What Size Of Jello Shot Cups Are The Best?
As usual, I like to make these jello shots in 2-ounce jello shot cups with lids*.
They’re just so easy to serve and transport. And it’s the perfect amount for a shot.
However, for smaller crowds, I have been known to break from tradition and make them in Martini glasses instead.
How To Make Cosmopolitan Jello Shots
To make moving the jello shots to the refrigerator even easier (once the jello is in them of course), I lay the jello shot cups out on a cookie sheet before I make them.
That way I just have to mix and pour.
Mix 1 cups boiling water with a large (3-oz) box of cranberry jello until all of the crystals have dissolved.
I like to use a mixing bowl with a spout* or a large measuring cup for this. It makes pouring the jello into the shot glasses much easier when you get to that step.
How Much Alcohol Do You Put In Jello Shots?
Add 1/2 cup Citron Vodka, 1/4 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau, 2 Tablespoons of cranberry juice and 1 Tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
I don’t like my jello shots to be too strong, so I like to mix the alcohol with juice.
How Do You Make Strong Jello Shots?
If you want a stronger jello shot, you can increase the vodka, and reduce or eliminate the amount of juice.
Just make sure that the total amount of the cold liquid is 1 cup. Adding too much liquid will prevent the jello from setting.
I like to combine them all in a measuring cup to make sure the measurements work out, and then pour them all into the jello mixture together.
How Long Does It Take Jello Shots To Set In The Fridge?
Refrigerate until the jello shots are set, usually 2 – 4 hours.
I wait for the jello to completely cool before putting the lids on the jello shot cups. That prevents condensation from forming on the inside of the lids. It doesn’t hurt the jello, but not having condensation does make them look better.
How Many Jello Shots Are In A Box Of Jello?
A small (3-oz) box of jello will make about 16 2-oz jello shots.
A large (6-oz) box of jello will make about 32 2-oz jello shots. You would need to double the rest of the ingredients to make this work with this recipe.
How Long Do Jello Shots Last?
You can store these jello shots in the refrigerator for up to a week. Because they have juice in them, I wouldn’t leave them any longer than that. And I think they start to taste stale after a couple of days.
I usually make them a day or two before the party to compromise between being ready in advance and still having the jello shots taste good.
How Do You Serve Jello Shots?
I like to serve jello shots with mini tasting spoons*. Most of my friends don’t like to eat them right out of the shot glass, and these spoons are the perfect size.
Other Jello Shots You Might Like:
Cosmopolitan Jello Shots
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3-oz (small) box Cranberry jello
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup Citron Vodka
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec (or Cointreau)
- 1 pot or kettle
- 16 2-oz Jello shot cups
- 1 cookie sheet (optional)
- 1 mixing bowl (ideally with a pouring spout)
- 1 measuring cup
- Put the water on to boil.
- While you're waiting, spread out the jello shot cups on a cookie sheet
- Mix the Cranberry Jello crystals with 1 cup of the boiling water until the jello sugar has dissolved.
- Add the fresh lime juice, cranberry juice, Vodka and Triple Sec (or Cointreau). Stir again.
- Pour into jello cups.
- Chill for 2 to 4 hours, or until jello has set.
- Makes about 16 2-oz jello shots.
- If you don't have Citron Vodka, you can substitute regular vodka
- Putting the jello shot cups on the cookie sheet isn't absolutely necessary but it does make transporting the jello shots to the refrigerator. It also catches any spills. The red jello can stain your countertop.
- Mixing the jello in a bowl with a spout or large measuring cup will make it easier to pour into the jello shot cups.
- You may want to wait until the jello has cooled before putting the lids on the jello shot cups. That will prevent condensation from forming on the inside of the lid.