These baked sticky Chinese chicken wings made with brown sugar and soy sauce taste delicious and are the easiest chicken wing recipe you can find!
Chicken wings are one of my favorite foods to serve at parties, especially if I’m serving buffet style. So I’m always on the look out for easy to make wing recipes that taste great, like these Asian spiced wings and these honey glazed wings. This easy baked sticky Chinese chicken wings recipe definitely deserves a spot on that list!
Sticky Chinese Chicken Wings
These easy sticky Chinese chicken wings are one of my go-to recipes for parties when I want an easy-to-make appetizer that everyone loves! (And let’s be honest, when do I not want that?)
They do have to bake for a couple of hours so it generally isn’t a recipe that I serve for weeknight dinners…but for parties the long baking time is actually a good thing. There’s no last minute prepping and trying to get something into the oven while people are arriving.
You can also get this sticky chicken wings recipe ready to go the day before your party. I usually separate the wings (if I have whole ones), spread them out in the baking dish, cover with foil and store in the refrigerator. Then I make the sauce in a small bowl and store that in the refrigerator, too. On the day of the party, just pour the sauce over the wings and pop them into the oven.
As an added bonus, these sticky Chinese chicken wings do really well in a chafing dish* if you’re serving them on a buffet. They don’t get all soggy like fried wings can after they’ve been out for a while.
How To Put The Wings Together
Making this sticky Chinese chicken wings recipe is about as easy it gets.
Basically, you put the wings in a baking dish.
Then mix all of the other ingredients together and pour them over the top of the wings.
It doesn’t even matter if all of the wings are covered by the sauce at this point. It will boil and coat all of the wings while it is baking.
Bake them for an hour covered with foil. Then take the foil off, turn them over and bake for another 45 minutes to an hour.
Because of the brown sugar, you do need to bake them at a fairly low temperature for a longer period of time. Otherwise the sugar will burn.
But when they come out of the oven they will be the best tasting, fall of the bone, sticky sweet and sour baked chicken wings you’ve ever had!
Is There A Gluten-Free Version?
Yes, you can substitute Tamari sauce or Coco Aminos* for the soy sauce and the wings will still taste great!
What To Serve With Baked Sticky Chinese Chicken Wings?
Since I’m usually serving these wings at a party, my other dishes are also buffet-ready recipes like:
- Crock pot macaroni and cheese
- Other chicken wing recipes (to give people a choice of flavors)
- Oven baked breaded drumsticks
- Grilled asparagus
Baked Sticky Chinese Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds wings
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Pots and Utensils
- 1 9" x 13" baking dish
- 1 Mixing bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If the wings have not been separated, remove the tips and separate the wings at the joint.
- Arrange the wings in the baking pan. Don't worry if they are a little squished. They will still turn out fine.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in the bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the wings in the pan. It doesn't matter if all of the wings are covered. The sauce will boil while cooking and all of the wings will end up being coated.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for an hour. Note: You may want to put a layer of tin foil on the oven rack under the pan since the sauce sometimes boils over.
- Remove the foil.
- Turn the wings over.
- Bake, uncovered, for another 45 minutes to an hour.