This time of year, I love to cook on the grill. It keeps the heat out of the house and there’s fewer pots to clean!
To me, nothing says summer like a good burger grilled to perfection.
But since I’m trying to watch how many calories I eat, I usually opt for ground chicken instead of ground beef.
The problem with ground chicken is that it doesn’t have a lot of flavor, so it needs some help to make it into a good burger.
That’s where this Lemon Cilantro Chicken Burger recipe comes in handy…the extra spices definitely make for one tasty burger!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 Tablespoon of dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat the grill. Using a non-stick grill spray* on the grates will help prevent the burgers from sticking.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. I usually start by mixing with a large spoon, and then use my hands to finish the job...it's easier to get everything well mixed that way.
- Form patties out of the meat. You should be able to make at least 4 patties (and I have made as many as 6 patties if I was making small ones).
- Grill the patties over medium high heat for about 6 minutes per side, or until they are no longer pink inside. Do not press the burgers down with a spatula...that will squeeze the juice out of them and make them dry.