These Shrimp Tacos are my go to supper when I don’t feel like cooking. They are quick and easy to make, taste delicious and have fewer calories than traditional beef tacos. I like to dress them up with diced tomatoes or salsa and guacamole.*
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
What You Need
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound (454 grams) uncooked shrimp (frozen or fresh)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp.each salt and pepper
1 pkg. (500 ml) broccoli slaw
¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
½ tsp. hot sauce
8 hard taco shells
Pots and Utensils
Wok or large frying pan
Small bowls for toppings
How to Put It Together
1. Peel the shrimp (if they have shells)
2. Heat oil in a large wok until almost smoking.
3. Add shrimp, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Toss until shrimp turn pink, approximately 2 minutes.
5. Mix in the broccoli slaw, cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce.
6. Cook another 2 minutes, until warmed.
7. Remove from heat.
8. Fill taco shells with the shrimp/slaw mixture.
Top with your favorite taco toppings (and skip the cheese if you want to keep the calories low).
These are also really easy to serve for a crowd…simply make up a big batch of the shrimp mixture and put out on the buffet table with the shells and toppings. Then let your guests put their own tacos together.
* Quick Guacamole
If you don’t have guacamole on hand, try this quick substitute:
Mash an avocado. Mix with an equal amount of plain yogurt or sour cream until smooth.