This week’s recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Bran Muffins is a novel variation on a bran muffin. I have been baking this version for eons and it never fails to get compliments. These muffins are delicious for breakfast, brunch, with coffee, or afternoon tea. The recipe appeared years ago in a complimentary magazine that was mailed to Canadians, called “Recipes Only”. It is quick and easy to make, and if you freeze the muffins, you only need to pop one in the microwave for a few seconds to reheat at a later date.
Be prepared for your senses to be stimulated by the most mouth watering aroma. Brew a cuppa and enjoy warm.
- ¾ cup rhubarb chopped (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup strawberries sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup strawberry or plain yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all bran
How To Put Them Together
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the rhubarb and white sugar in one of the bowls.
- Add in the strawberries. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon together into the other bowl. Set aside.
- Place the oats and yogurt in the mixer bowl and stir to moisten.
- Add the oil, brown sugar, and the egg. Beat well.
- Add in the rhubarb/strawberry mixture, the flour mixture, and the bran. Stir to blend.
- Divide between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.