As I mentioned in last week’s post (on how to make Craftsman Style Mouldings), I have been working on making over my den. I installed the mouldings and painted it a dark reddish-purple paint color. I also switched out the too-large desk I used to have in there for a library table that was in the living room. It’s not as long as the desk so it fits in the room better, and folds out so I can use it as a dining table when I have company. (In my tiny house, there isn’t really space for a true dining room…so my den has to do double-duty).
The table has a mahogany veneer that was too similar to the wall color so it needed to be painted. It also needed a little “updating” to make it feel a little more current.
The Inspiration – via lostandfounddecor.com
When I read Melanie from lostandfounddecor.com’s night stand makeover, I knew I had my inspiration.
Then I watched Gail Rogers on You Tube describe how to use Cottage Paint’s new metallic product called Urban Paint and I felt confident I knew how to accomplish the result I wanted.
And here’s a sneak peak of the “after”. What do you think? I am more than pleased.
Click Next to find out how to do an Urban Table Makeover using Metallic Paint.
What You Need
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
3 colors of Urban Paint (in Canada) (I used Brass, Gun Metal, and Titanium)
Step 1: Sand
1. If your table is sound and without deep dark water marks, it is not necessary to prime it. Give it a light scuff to remove any little bumps with very fine sandpaper.
2. Wipe the entire piece with a damp cloth to remove any dust and dirt. Let dry thoroughly.
Step 2: Roll on Brass Paint Color
1. Saturate the roller and put down a thick layer of paint in a strip across the table and the width of the roller.
2. Then lightly skim over this paint with a dampened thin brush. This will remove the roller ridges and allow the product to dry very smooth with minimal brush marks.
3. Continue painting the top of the table in this manner until the entire surface is painted. Use the 2 ½” regular paint brush to paint the sides and legs of the table. For very clear visual instructions, please refer to Cottage Paint’s video “Urban Paint Liquid Metal Application “on U-tube.
4. Let this dry overnight. The paint will feel dry to the touch after 4 hours, however, it is recommended to allow a longer drying time before recoating.
5. Give the piece another coat of brass paint repeating steps 1 to 3. Let this dry overnight as well.
Step 3: Dry Brush Gun Metal Paint Color
Next, apply Gun Metal Urban Paint using a dry-brush method. This will add some darker sections to the finish which adds some dimension to the paint color.
1. Dip the very ends of the brush into the paint.
2. Dab excess paint onto the paper towel.
3. Using short stokes, apply a thin layer of gun metal color on top of the brass surface.
4. Let dry 3-4 hours.
Step 4: Dry Brush Titanium Paint Color
1. Using the same dry-brush method, apply the Titanium Urban Paint to the entire table. I did not wash my brush between colors because the colors are somewhat haphazard and are not one uniform color as they would be if the paint is applied with a roller.
2. When the Titanium paint is dry, give the table top a very light sanding, and wipe off the dust.
3. Apply another dry-brushed coat of Titanium so that the finish is more silvery than brassy.
Step 5: Let It Cure and Enjoy!
Urban metallic paint dries to a very hard durable surface. However, it must be allowed to cure. Avoid setting decorative items on it, and heavy duty use for 30 days. If it is imperative to use it during that time, temporarily protect the surface with a table cloth. Remember to remove the cloth after use so that the wood can release moisture and the paint can harden to its potential.
I am thrilled with how the table turned out and will be posting the complete den reveal soon.