It’s week 4 of the One Room Challenge already…that means we’re more than halfway finished! I still have a ton of work to do on my master bathroom makeover, but at least I’m on the “putting the room back together” stage, rather than still stuck in the “taking it apart” stage. I finally got all that dust
I still have a ton of work to do on my master bathroom makeover, but at least I’m on the “putting the room back together” stage, rather than still stuck in the “taking it apart” stage.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
I did make a few more design decisions this week.
First off, the walls. Last week, I was still waffling about which way to go…paint or wallpaper (if you missed them, you can see the choices in Week 2’s post). I had finally decided to go with the over-the-top zebra wallpaper. (My design style tends more towards over the top than subtle).
But then I went to order it…and realized the wallpaper was going to cost more than the bathtub! And decided I just couldn’t justify spending that much money (I do live in a builder-grade house after all). So what’s Plan B when something is too expensive? A DIY project of course…I’m planning put a silver glaze over the existing gray paint, and maybe add a stencil.
To offset that work, I took one thing off my “To Do” list. After reading up on what it takes to recess the medicine cabinets, I decided it was too much work. They’re in a load bearing wall and too wide to fit between the studs. Which would mean taking out more drywall, and adding extra braces. They don’t bother me that much 🙂
Finally, I ordered a window treatment* (which I had completely left off my original design plan!) It’s a white and black roman shade that I think will tie in very well with the floor.
This week was all about installing tile.
I have to admit that I have a hard time working indoors this time of year. All kinds of plants are blooming in the garden and the weather is beautiful. Which was a really good excuse to set up the tile saw in the backyard…and it’s easier to clean up with the hose 🙂
First up was finishing the area where the built-in bathtub used to be. Now that I have a freestanding tub, those walls needed to be finished, so I had to install backer board on the walls.
Then I had to cut all of my 12″ x 12″ marble wall tiles in half. I’m not sure why buying 6″ x 12″ tiles costs twice as much as buying 12″ x 12″ ones of the same material, but they do…so cutting them myself saved quite a bit of money.
Finally, I got to put up the tiles around the tub area.
And, yes, I do realize there is still a hole in the back wall 🙂 I’m waiting to find get the tub plumbing done (a new drain and water lines will be required) before filling this in.
And More Tiling
Next up was removing the old vanity. I’m not sure if all builder-grade houses are done this way, but the plumbing pipes were installed right into the back of the original vanity. That meant I had to cut out the back of the vanity around the pipes in order to get it out. The Dremel* with a cutting bit* came in very handy for this!
Then I had to remove the pieces of the vanity back that were still attached to the plumbing…a little tricky since I definitely didn’t want to cut the pipes! Dremel to the rescue again 🙂
Finally, I was able to put the tile up on the walls for this.
I still need to grout the walls…and then it’s on to the floors. So now you know what this week’s project is!
That’s my update for this week, and now I’m off to do even more tiling!