The second “bedroom” in my house is small (9 ½’ x 8 ½’) and needs to be a multi-functional room — guest bedroom, home office, party room, and storage area rolled into one. I already had a Murphy bed built into the wall (for the guest bedroom) and a desk (for the home office), but I was stuck trying to figure out how to fit in all of the storage that I needed as well as a serving area for my annual Christmas tea party.
I had a long list of things that I wanted to be able to keep in this room:
- Storage for binders
- Storage for office supplies
- Storage for sewing notions
- Storage for the guest bed linens when it is not in use
- Shelves for magazines and books
- A place to put my printer
- Camouflage for phone and power cords
- Buffet serving area
- Narrow enough to let the Murphy bed open
- A sleek contemporary feel
- A bit of reflecting bling
Then one day I had an “ah ha” moment when I was browsing in the IKEA “as is” section. I spied some Jutis frosted glass cupboard doors with aluminum trim and a steel shelf. I suddenly knew how I wanted to configure the den so that it would look great and accommodate all of the storage I needed. There is no wasted real estate in this room!
Click Next to see how to build a glam wall unit using IKEA kitchen cabinets.